Thinking about modern stair and railing designs for your home?
You now have more options to consider! Changes to National Building Codes have made interior horizontal railing possible for Okanagan home owners wanting modern stairs. Click here to see the updates on British Columbia Building Code regarding stairs and railing, approved December 2018.
We are helping countless homeowners choose the perfect style of horizontal railing that brings their vision to life.
Warm and modern, this stunning custom staircase features a self-supported western stringer. Note: the double posts in the corner serve as terminating points for each section of horizontal railing.
What does Horizontal Railing have to offer?
- Very clean lines and incredible visual appeal.
- A trending change for people looking for something beyond the traditional vertical railing.
- The opportunity for high contrast minimalist style when combining elements of wood, metal, and steel.
- A safe and very practical option to modernize railing.
This stair blends the warmth of oak with modern horizontal steel bars. Note: when using a horizontal railing system where the bars are offset to one side of the post as opposed to going through the post, you need to decide which side of the guardrail you want your bars.
There are 3 things to consider when selecting horizontal railing for your staircase…
1. Cable railing requires maintenance. Just like piano strings need tuning, cable rail will need to be tightened with time. Horizontal bars do not require this type of upkeep.
2. There are design considerations unique to horizontal railing so take extra time in the design phase to work out these details. For example, the need for more posts both for use in breaking up the long horizontal spans and for places where 2 different sections of railing meet.
3. Horizontal solid bars can be installed on a curved railing but cable railing can not. Curved horizontal bars can create a stunning custom modern railing.
This steel and concrete mono stringer features a substantial turnbuckle cable rail system stylistically highlighting the industrial function of cable rail.
If you are looking for horizontal railing in the Okanagan Valley, give us a call! 1-844-482-7213 We would love to talk about your project and walk with you every step of the way.
For more inspiration on stair design by Specialized Stair and Rail check out our gallery here.